logo library
Access The Global Open Data Tracker
Fill out your details to explore the Standards Library and Innovation Atlas.
Back to the main site
Back to Innovation Atlas


No Open Banking

A landlocked country at the crossroads of Central and South Asia.

10% of adults in Afghanistan had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 90% unbanked.

Following the Taliban’s seizure of power in August 2021, the banks fought to stop a run on deposits. In May 2022, the World Economic Forum was told that Afghanistan’s most urgent need was saving its economy from complete collapse