logo library
Access The Global Open Data Tracker
Fill out your details to explore the Standards Library and Innovation Atlas.
Back to the main site
Back to Innovation Atlas


No Open Banking

A country in Southern Africa which sits by the Atlantic Ocean with the majority of the population remaining unbanked.

Mobile phone connectivity was equivalent to 113% of the population, and 51% of the population was online in 2022.

71% of adults in Namibia had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 29% unbanked.

The 2017 National Financial Inclusion Survey showed that of the rural population, the majority of inhabitants, only 20% had access to a mobile phone, therefore indicating that mobile wallet technology might not be such an advantage to rural populations. Indeed, in 2017 only 1.4% of people in the survey received their wages through a digital wallet, with 37.1% receiving directly into a bank account, and 63% of the cohort asked to receive cash in hand. 68.2% of mobile wallet users immediately withdrew all their earnings upon receipt. When asked which financial products they were aware of, 68% of Namibians were aware of bank accounts and 41% of mobile money wallets. 24% could not think of a financial product. According to the report, in 2017, 73% of the population was financially served, either through a bank or non-banking financial institution. 22% were financially excluded, and 27% were in rural areas. In the six months preceding the survey, 16% of people had borrowed money from a family member, compared to 3% who had borrowed money from a bank. There is no indication of a move towards Open Banking.

Namibia ranked 97th out of 134 countries in Wiley’s Digital Skills Global Index 2021