logo library
Access The Global Open Data Tracker
Fill out your details to explore the Standards Library and Innovation Atlas.
Back to the main site
Back to Innovation Atlas


No Open Banking

A North African country where borrowing is mainly conducted within families.

About 71% of Algerians use the internet, and most adults use mobile phones.

44% of adults in Algeria had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 56% unbanked. Financial inclusion is an issue here as only 5% of those account holders use them to pay for bills or buy items, and only 11% save their money in an account.  Most borrowing is done within families, and most saving is a solid form, such as jewellery or property.

In 2021, the government announced they were planning on launching a 100% digital bank in the following years. There is a digital banking platform in Algeria, which offers Open Banking, but that is through a Cypriot company, using API standards compliant with the European PSD2 regulations. 

Algeria ranked 99th out of 134 countries in Wiley’s Digital Skills Global Index 2021.