logo library
Access The Global Open Data Tracker
Fill out your details to explore the Standards Library and Innovation Atlas.
Back to the main site
Back to Innovation Atlas


No Open Banking

Georgia is located at the intersection of Europe and Asia. It’s home to Caucasus Mountain villages and Black Sea beaches. Georgia is gradually expanding its use of Open Banking.

68% of Georgians have access to the internet.

National Bank of Georgia initiated consultations with the banking sector on the introduction of  Open Banking in Georgia, followed by regular working group meetings in the summer of 2019. The Open Banking Committee developed the first version of the Open Banking Implementation Framework in September 2020 with the involvement of the Bankers’ Association of Georgia, commercial banks and the National Bank of Georgia. Commercial banks were given a deadline until March 31, 2021, to implement the requirements of the first stage of Open Banking. After the first stage is successfully implemented, it is planned to gradually expand the use of Open Banking.


According to the Global Findex Database, 70% of adults in Georgia had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 30% unbanked.

More than 200 Fintech companies operate in Georgia.

Georgia ranked 72nd out of 134 in Wiley’s Digital Skills Gap Index (DSGI) 2021.