logo library
Access The Global Open Data Tracker
Fill out your details to explore the Standards Library and Innovation Atlas.
Back to the main site
Back to Innovation Atlas

Islamic Republic of Iran

No Open Banking

A Western Asian nation with Open Data in its sights.

Internet penetration stands at 70% in Iran as of 2021.

90% of adults in Iran had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 10% unbanked.

In 2017 the Open Banking portal Finnotech was launched by the privately-owned Ayandeh Bank, and in 2019 the Central Bank of Iran opened the regulatory platform Diba to oversee Open Banking operations. Iran has Open Data as part of its 2025 Roadmap, and the digital movement was boosted by Covid-19, when the Money and Credit Council, the regulatory body of financial services, permitted electronic wallets.

Iran ranked 81st out of 134 countries in Wiley’s Digital Skills Global Index 2021