logo library
Access The Global Open Data Tracker
Fill out your details to explore the Standards Library and Innovation Atlas.
Back to the main site
Back to Innovation Atlas

The Republic of North Macedonia

No Open Banking

North Macedonia is a country in southeastern Europe, known until 2019 as the Republic of Macedonia.

According to The Global Findex database, 81% of Macedonians had access to the internet. 

The law on Payment Services and Payment Systems is drafted based on PSD2.

North Macedonia is harmonising with the PSD2.

According to The Global Findex Database, 85% of Macedonian adults had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 15% unbanked. 

Open Banking is included in the central bank strategy, and they have a working group dedicated to Open Banking.

In 2019, 7 Fintechs operated in North Macedonia. According to Tracxn, there are 12 Fintech startups in Skopje as of 2022.

In 2019, 7 Fintechs operated in North Macedonia. According to Tracxn, there are 12 Fintech startups in Skopje as of 2022.

The Central Bank of North Macedonia has established an innovation hub in order to adopt Fintech.

North Macedonia is harmonising with the PSD2.