logo library
Access The Global Open Data Tracker
Fill out your details to explore the Standards Library and Innovation Atlas.
Back to the main site
Back to Innovation Atlas


No Open Banking

The Polynesian country and archipelago could use Fintech to promote financial inclusion.

41% of Tongans had access to the internet at the beginning of 2022.

66% of adults in Tonga had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 34% unbanked. There is increasing uptake of mobile money options, with 29,523 active mobile money accounts or approximately 46% of the adult population.

Financial inclusion remains an issue in Tonga.

According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Fintech could potentially allow Pacific island countries to alleviate the impact of structural impediments and persistent challenges, such as geographic remoteness and dispersion, small scale, limited infrastructure, and fragile correspondent banking relationships. Fintech solutions can complement existing efforts to promote financial inclusion, enhance financial sector development, and increase inclusive growth potential, thereby reducing poverty.