Back to Innovation Atlas


No Open Banking

The archipelago of Fiji has one of the most developed economies in the Pacific.

63% of Fijians had access to the internet in the beginning of 2022.

81% of adults in Fiji had bank accounts in 2021, leaving 19% unbanked.

The government has previously taken action to improve financial inclusion in Fiji.

According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Fintech could potentially allow Pacific island countries to alleviate the impact of structural impediments and persistent challenges, such as geographic remoteness and dispersion, small scale, limited infrastructure, and fragile correspondent banking relationships. Fintech solutions can complement existing efforts to promote financial inclusion, enhance financial sector development, and increase inclusive growth potential, thereby reducing poverty.

Fiji ranked 58th out of 134 countries in Wiley’s Digital Skills Global Index 2021

Reserve Bank of Fiji (RBF) launched a Fintech Regulatory Sandbox in 2019.